Detention policies vary by shipper/receiver. Generally, facilities with scheduled appointments are subject to detention charges of $40/hour after two hours of wait time unless otherwise specified in the rate confirmation.
Detention charges max out at five hours per stop.
The following requirements must be met in order to receive detention:
- Driver is checked in prior to appointment time
- For reefer loads, driver pre-cools prior to appointment time
- Trailer is clean, odorless, and serviceable
- BOLs are marked with in and out times and signed by the shipper/receiver
- BOLs are uploaded via the Convoy Driver app within 24 hours
- If required by customer, a detention form is filled out at the facility
- Driver notifies Convoy at the 90 minute mark that detention will start in 30 minutes
- Convoy is able to collect detention from the customer
Any detention compensation will be added onto your original rate, and an updated rate confirmation will be sent to the dispatch emails you have listed on file with us.
If I’m late, do I still get detention?
If you accept a last-minute load and expect to be late, please call the live operations team at 425-214-1769 ext. 1 to request detention before your arrival; otherwise, please make sure your broker is aware that you will be requesting detention when you are negotiating your rate.
Please note that if you call facilities to arrange your own appointments without going through Convoy, you will be forfeiting your claim to detention charges.